VAULT is an AI-driven tool to accurately predict postoperative vault of the EVO Visian ICL™ (Implanted Collamer® Lens). The goal is to create an accurate, repeatable, and continuously improving machine-learning based tool for the prediction of post-operative ICL™ Vault using various imaging modalities (e.g., Ultrasound Biomicroscopy and Anterior Segment OCT). The models are trained with data from refractive surgery cases in the United States at a high volume surgery center.
IOL Reference Phone Application
IOL Reference is a website and iOS application created by Matt Hirabayashi MD and Gurpal Virdi MD that allows surgeons to quickly search for an FDA approved, currently marketed intraocular lenses (IOLs) that meet their needs and specifications. It is the only utility of its kind specific to surgeons in the United States. This resource also allows students and residents to learn more about the current lens options. IOL Reference is also part of the eyeSpace Ophthalmology iOS App.
Additionally, this website will serve as an archive for storing high-quality and accurate information on IOLs for generations to come.
The app database contains almost 10,000 individually cataloged lenses and is already continuously updated to include newly FDA approved IOLs, changes to current lenses, and corrections.
Driven by a passion for education and refractive surgery, the two Mizzou ophthalmology residents are dedicated to created the best practical and educational tool possible.
There are many more tools in development for eyeSpace including an improved interface for refractive outcome tracking and a forum feature.
In partnership with Gurpal Virdi MD, EYESPACE LLC is a technology and machine learning consulting firm that aims to provide innovative solutions to ophthalmology problems.
- Beyond the White Coat: Entrepreneurship in Ophthalmology, Young MD Connect Live 2023
- Cataract Surgery: Deep Dive Into the Basics, The Retina Academy
I am currently working on a variety of refractive surgery projects.
- Hirabayashi M, Barnett B. Solving STODS—Surgical Temporary Ocular Discomfort Syndrome. Diagnostics. 2023; 13(5):837. doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics13050837
- Hirabayashi M, Gharabagi A, Hesemann N, Johnson S, Webel A, Petroski G, Davis G. Spherical aberration of cataractous eyes and its relationship with age, ocular biometry, and various IOL platforms. Journal of Refractive Surgery. 2023; 39(2), 89–94. doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20221207-01
- Hooshmand S, Voss J, Hirabayashi M, McDaniel L, An J. Outcomes of initial and repeat micro-pulse transscleral cyclophotocoagulation in adult glaucoma patients. Therapeutic Advances in Ophthalmology. 2022;14:251584142110644. doi: 10.1177/25158414211064433
- Pratte E, Cho J, Landreneau R, Hirabayashi M, An J. Predictive Factors of Outcomes in Kahook Dual Blade Excisional Goniotomy Combined with Phacoemulsification. Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice. 2022; 16(1):47-52. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10078-1313
- Xu H, Thomas M, Lee D, Hirabayashi M, An J. Response to netarsudil in goniotomy-treated eyes and goniotomy-naïve eyes: a pilot study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2022;260(9):3001-3007. doi: 10.1007/s00417-022-05609-6
- Hirabayashi M. Wing Separation and Mid-Air Breakup Analysis in Light Training Aircraft. Aviation. 2021;25(4):278-282. doi: 10.3846/aviation.2021.15953.
- Cho J, Hogan D, Salim M, Pratte E, King J, Bylund R, Hirabayashi M, An M. Comparison of Outcomes for Laser Trabeculoplasty after Kahook Dual Blade Goniotomy Versus in Goniotomy-Naive Eyes. Ophthalmology and Therapy. 2021;10(4):905-912. doi: 10.1007/s40123-021-00378-7
- King J, Lee D, Thomsen S, Hirabayashi M, An J. Relationship Between Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty and Excisional Goniotomy Combine with Phacoemulsification. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2021;57(2):112-117. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2021.02.040.
- Hirabayashi M, Virdi G, King J, Lee D, Nguyen V, An J. Effect of Excisional Goniotomy with the Kahook Dual Blade (KDB) on Surgically Induced Astigmatism. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2020;14:4297-4303. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S279073
- Pratte E, Landrenau J, Hirabayashi M, An J. Comparison of 12-Month Outcomes of Kahook Dual Blade Excisional Goniotomy Performed by Attending versus Resident Surgeons. Journal of Academic Ophthalmology. 2020; 12(02): e181-e187. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1717055
- Hirabayashi M, Ponnusamy V, An J. Predictive Factors for Outcomes of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty. Scientific Reports. 2020;10(1):9428. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-66473-0
- Hirabayashi M, Smith D, An A. Biostatistics 101: Perspectives on Statistics in Ophthalmology. JOJ Ophthalmol. 2019;7(5): 555724. https://doi.org/10.19080/JOJO.2019.07.555724.
- Lee D, King J, Thomsen S, Hirabayashi M, An J. Comparison Of Surgical Outcomes Between Excisional Goniotomy Using The Kahook Dual Blade And iStent Trabecular Micro-Bypass Stent In Combination With Phacoemulsification. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2019;13:2097-2102. doi: 10.2147/ophth.s224109
- Hirabayashi M, McDaniel L, An J. Reversal of Toric Intraocular Lens-corrected Corneal Astigmatism after Kahook Dual Blade Goniotomy. Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice. 2019;13(1):42-44. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10078-1243
- Hirabayashi M, Rosenlof T, An J. Comparison of Outcome Predictors for MicroPulse Laser Trabeculoplasty and Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2019;13:1001-1009. doi: 10.2147/opth.s205977
- Hirabayashi M, King J, Lee D, An J. Outcome of Phacoemulsification Combined with Excisional Goniotomy using the Kahook Dual Blade in Severe Glaucoma Patients at 6 months. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2019;13:715-721. doi: 10.2147/opth.s196105
- Hirabayashi M, Virdi G, Davis G, Hesseman N. Toric Tolerance: 1° for 3%? The Ophthalmology Business Minute. December 2022.
- Hirabayashi M, Virdi G, Johnson S. Technological Innovation in Ophthalmology. The Ophthalmology Business Minute. December 2022.
- Barnett B, Hirabayashi M. The Art of Focusing Light: Refractive Surgery Fellowships. The Ophthalmology Business Minute. December 2022
- Hirabayashi M and An J. Laser Trabeculoplasty in the Treatment of Open-angle Glaucoma. Glaucoma Physician. December 2021.
- Dailey D, Thomsen S, Davis G, Davis R, Hirabayashi M, and Ponnusamy V. The Curious Case of Cysts and Sight. EyeNet Magazine. January 2019.
- Next-Generation Online IOL Resources, Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today
- Filling the App in Knowledge, Young MD Connect (YMDC)
- Bridging the App, The Ophthalmologist
- IOL Reference App Allows Surgeons to Search for FDA-Approved IOLs, Ophthalmology Breaking News
- New App Allows Surgeons to Search for FDA Approved IOLs, eyewire
- Virtual Resources for Aspiring Ophthalmologists, MillenialEYE